Hello. I’m Brett Metcalf and welcome to Metcalf Law, P.A. If you are currently dealing with local law enforcement and the local State Attorney’s Office, you need a local strategy for your fight. I was born and raised in Tampa. After spending 4 years at the University of Florida followed by 3 years at the Florida State College of Law, I moved back to Tampa- the only city I will ever call home.
I began my career with the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office, prosecuting DUI’s, misdemeanors and felonies. In nearly 3 years with the State, I spent most of my time in court, practicing in front of a number of different judges. I prosecuted over 5,000 cases, argued over 300 motions and took more than 100 cases to trial.
Now, I am on your side.
I know the weaknesses of the State’s position. I know what officers overlook and I know what they will say to protect their arrest. I will challenge any officer who has violated your constitutional rights. And if the State refuses to make an acceptable offer on your case, I will go to trial for you. If you are currently searching for the right lawyer to defend your rights, put my local experience to work for you.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate of The University of Florida’s Warrington College of Business with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, focus in Finance. (2006)
- While still in law school, I was certified by the Florida Supreme Court to directly provide representation to clients in litigation under the supervision of a lawyer. (2008)
- Certified Legal Intern with the State Attorney’s Office in our State’s capital. After successfully completing my fall semester, I was the only CLI asked to come back for the Spring semester on a paid basis. For 8 months, I prosecuted offenses in the Juvenile Division of the 1st Circuit, graduating from law school with 8 trials under my belt. (2008-2009)
- Also during my 3rd year of law school, I was one of only two students elected as a Representative for our class in the Student Bar Association. (2008-2009)
- Graduate of Florida State College of Law. (2009)
- After passing the Bar Exam on my first attempt, I was immediately hired by the State Attorney’s Office in Tampa, where I was employed as an Assistant State Attorney (ASA) for nearly 3 years. (2009-2012)
- Prosecuted over 5,000 cases- I argued over 300 motions and I tried over 100 cases to verdict.
- In 2010, I was selected as one of only two ASA’s in Tampa to attend the Gerald T. Bennett Trial Training Program, where I received excellent critique and ultimately honed my trial skills.
- I was also selected as the lead ASA to litigate against defense’s Motion to Compel the Source Code of the Intoxilyzer 8000. For over a year and a half, I spent approximately 48 hours in court litigating against defense’s motion to Compel the Source Code and 17 other supplemental motions relating to the admissibility of breath testing results from the Intoxilyzer 8000.
- During my time as a DUI prosecutor, I litigated more than 25 different complex motions relating to the Intoxilyzer 8000.
- The 100+ cases I have taken to trial range in severity from Possession of Marijuana and DUI to Burglary of a Dwelling and Trafficking in Cocaine.
Contact us today using the form on the right or call at: 813-282-8600. Let Metcalf Law defend your rights.